Wednesday 16 September 2015

Keeping it real

Guys, I have a confession to make. My home is not always spick and span. (Gasp!) In fact there's an ecard that sums this up perfectly... 

(Source unknown)

But the thing is, I function much better if I do have a clean house. My head is clearer, I'm much happier and relaxed, I smile more, I don't seem to lose my cool quite so quickly, I get to 'stop and smell the roses' instead of feeling guilty or distracted by the things that aren't done. I like to call these things that aren't done visual white noise. The thing is, as a visual person this white noise is very distracting and makes my 'blood boil'. All the more reason to have a somewhat clean house am I right?

Unfortunately there's so much to be done at the moment that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and just want to hide under my bed cover for several days. Case in point:

(no judgement please - this is my happy place after all)

On top of this there is the very real possibility that my family will have to move to New Zealand within the next few months and we have to prepare our house for rental but also prepare to stay.  The unknown is 'doing my head in' as we say in Australia and I just can't seem to get motivated to do well, anything. But hang on, don't I have a blog now? Didn't I state that this is the place where I will share my projects and hold myself accountable to finishing them?  Why yes, yes I did. So that is what I will do. But first, coffee I need a plan. So that means it's time for one of my favourite things... A to-do list!

Pre-to-do list,  to-do list
  1. Make bed
  2. Throw open the curtains and open the windows to let in some light and fresh air.
  3. Light my Bordeaux Glasshouse candle to make my house smell divine.
  4. Scan every room and work out what needs to be done.
  5. Turn on my Podcasts of Dan and Maz episodes http://www.2dayfm.com.au/shows/dan-maz/podcasts/# (love those guys) take a deep breath and get cracking.
  6. Start a load of washing 
  7. Unload/load the dishwasher 
  8. Pick up playroom
  9. Clear countertops
  10. Sweep kitchen and bathroom floors
Completing these should get my home in good enough shape to begin any other tasks. Otherwise the
decluttering I've got planned won't be as effective as I'll be piling mess on top of mess and therefore I'll get overwhelmed and therefore I'm most likely to eat chocolate and procrastinate on Pinterest. It's a bit of a vicious cycle but I'm glad I've worked out that this is how I operate.

And now for the real to-do list... 
  1. Declutter the munchkins toys separating them into four categories: Stuff to keep, Hand-me-downs, Donations and Stick it in the bin.
  2. Declutter the munchkins clothing separating them into the same categories above
  3. Declutter my own clothes separating them into stuff to keep, Donations and stick it in the bin
  4. Declutter home decor items separating them into the above categories
  5. Declutter crockery, glassware, cutlery and utensils separating them into the above categories
  6. Declutter DVDs and books separating them into keep and donate categories
  7. Empty lounge room, dining room, playroom, hallway and kitchen ready for the new flooring
  8. Office: Get on top of filing, scanning and shredding paperwork
  9. Office: Get on top of to-do pile
  10. Sell pram and capsule 
  11. Organise window coverings for master bedroom, lounge room and office
Hubby to-do list
  1. Get internet for the house!
  2. Brick up holes in front wall
  3. Fix kitchen step
  4. Lounge room lighting
  5. Dining room lighting
  6. Drop cable for outdoor light switch to a more convenient area
  7. Blue board the weatherboard areas ready for render
  8. Get rid of ivy!
  9. Pull down old cornice in entryway
  10. Remove old skirting in entryway
  11. Install new cornice in entryway
  12. Plaster the entryway
  13. Install new skirting board in entryway
  14. Install new front door
  15. Do something about the entryway flooring
  16. Paint entryway
  17. Install bench, hooks and overhead cupboard in entryway to create a mudroom
  18. Paint laundry
  19. Tile laundry floor
  20. Paint interior doors and rehang them
Nice to-do list
  1. Install a barn door between entryway and lounge room 
  2. Install moulding behind bedhead  (a la iheartorganizing - http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/basement-progress-master-bedroom.html
  3. Paint wardrobes and replace hardware
  4. Replace side fence and gates. Extend side fence further down to re-claim our land
  5. Get the electricity box moved
  6. Replace gutters and fascias
  7. Turn rain water tank around as it was installed incorrectly by the previous owners
  8. Get a bobcat in and clear the front yard and area by master bedroom
  9. Install retaining walls to the east of our house, the north of our house and as far west as we can go without sacrificing our driveway
  10. Replace back fence 
  11. Get our roof sprayed to compliment the render colour
  12. Move outside unit of roomie to the eastern side of the house so we can free up entertaining area
  13. Redo bedroom lighting 
  14. Replace pergola sheeting
  15. Install cafe blinds in pergola area
  16. Replace outdoor concrete area with new + stamp and stain it to look like timber or just replace with pavers if it's cheaper. Will need to build a new retaining wall to replace the existing one when we tackle this though.
  17. Move veggie planter boxes and dwarf fruit trees to the area outside the master bedroom. Install vertical herb garden there too.
  18. Demolish front wall
  19. Make a path to the front door
  20. Install artificial lawn on either side of the path but each patch is to have a garden bed of roses surrounding it - or other plants that are even more low maintenance.
  21. Do a whole new pergola area
  22. Gut Laundry room and start again
Phew! I think I need a nap now. It does feel better to get that stuff out of my head though. Hubby, if you're reading this can we get started please? There's far too much on this list for my brain to cope with.

Now dear readers, if you managed to get to here without zoning out or napping, you're doing really well. I'll keep you up to date with how I tackle these mammoth lists but it will take time. So bear with me, Rome wasn't built in a day after all.

xoxo, Bianca


3 comments:

  1. Good luck with all of that. My lists are nearly as long as yours. You will get there
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't move!! Unless it can be framed as a massive adventure that has acini get home date!! Can I add 1 thing to your list? -cuppa for mum, milo ( or milk if you're not up for the sugar) for the munchkins and a bit of chill out time 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that was just an oversight. I was drinking coffee as I was typing my lists. I tend to be 'mean without caffeine' - someone should put that on a coffee mug :)

      And chill out time is a sanity saver - I must get better at that :)

      Delete